Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Friday, August 24, 2012

Title : Thirteen Reasons Why
Author : Jay Asher
Genre : Contemporary

Published Date : October 18th 2007
Publisher : Razorbill
Pages : 288


From Goodreads :
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.


My Review :
The blurb of Thirteen Reason Why got me totally hooked. I mean, cassette tapes to narrate the story? That sounds pretty cool. 


The story began with our main character, Clay Jensen, mailing the tape in the post office. Then we were brought back to when he received it, left behind in the front of his door with no return address.

Throughout the story, we listened to the tapes as the Hannah Baker-the girl who committed suicide two weeks earlier-shared her story, the moment when she was humiliated, underestimated, and the guilt she had to carry. This led to her breakdown, and finally, a suicide.

This novel, I think, boldly brought the topic of suicide, how it's commonly happen to teenagers, and ultimately, why we must help them. This was well-written and the execution was good enough, but there were some times when I could not distinguish between Clay's voice and Hannah's voice.

Overall, I'm not totally in love with this, but it's highly recommended if you like Contemporary.

My Rating :


Get a Copy : [AMAZON] | [BARNES&NOBLE] | [INDIEBOUND]

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love this book! Very very much! I even introduce this to my friends..xD This story is very different from books I had read..=) Good review by the way! Looking forward to read your other reviews..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! I've never read book about suicide before. I thought it was depressing and all. But turned out this one was simply amazing! And thanks a lot by the way :D

      Delete

A comment from readers make us happy, really!
This is also an award-free zone, but thanks for your consideration!

Share the Love!

Papier Revue

We are Part of

Bloggers Commenting Back

Subscribe