Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Friday, August 24, 2012

Title : Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author : Laini Taylor
Genre : Fantasy

Published Date : September 27th 2011
Publisher : Little, Brown & Company
Pages : 417
Awards : Audie Award for Fantasy (2012), Children's Choice Book Award Nominee for Teen Choice Book of the Year (2012), Andre Norton Award Nominee for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy (2011)

From Goodreads :
Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.
In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.
And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?


My Review :
What drew me into reading this book was the "a young art student" in the excerpt. The first two lines was intriguing, alright. But when the 'art' word entered my mind, this book totally made it into my list. 
That, and all of the great reviews I've heard about this book.
It took me long enough before I decided to give this book a try, and now I regret my decision for waiting so long.

What to say, I love this book. 
First of all, the cover was stunning. I mean, blue against black is a killer combination. And the content was surprisingly amazing too. Laini Taylor did a great job describing the surrounding without giving too much I can pictured scene-after-scene in my head easily.

The plot was surprisingly intriguing too, with a teeth-dealer, mysterious tattoo, and all that. I love how Laini Taylor put an enough amount of conflict onevery pages that left the reader wanting more.

Our main character, Karou-what a unique name-was not your typical scream-and-run girl either. She's strong, stand up for herself, and able to make her own decision. Akiva, our main hero, was a bit undeveloped for me. He did have a nice trouble with his life and all, but his personality seems a bit flat, like he was there to complement Karou only.

Overall, I think this is highly recommended for an urban-fantasy lover. I love this book, but well, maybe Akiva changed my love to just like.

My Rating :

Get a Copy : [AMAZON] | [BARNES&NOBLE] | [INDIEBOUND]

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I should try giving this book a try since I've never read a urban fantasy book. Thankyou for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! Glad my review could be some help! :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review. I've been on the fence with this book since it came out. I haven't been able to decide if I want to try it or not, but I think I might now. It's not at the top of my list, but your review has put the book on my TBR shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Soo happy that my review could be some help :D
      You should definitely check it out. It's worth it :D

      Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete

A comment from readers make us happy, really!
This is also an award-free zone, but thanks for your consideration!

Share the Love!

Papier Revue

We are Part of

Bloggers Commenting Back

Subscribe