Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor

Friday, April 18, 2014

Title : Dreams of Gods and Monsters
Author : Laini Taylor
Genre : Fantasy
Published Date : April 8th 2014

Publisher : Little, Brown & Company
Pages : 613
Source : Bought

From Goodreads :
By way of a staggering deception, Karou has taken control of the chimaera rebellion and is intent on steering its course away from dead-end vengeance. The future rests on her, if there can even be a future for the chimaera in war-ravaged Eretz.

Common enemy, common cause.

When Jael's brutal seraph army trespasses into the human world, the unthinkable becomes essential, and Karou and Akiva must ally their enemy armies against the threat. It is a twisted version of their long-ago dream, and they begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people.

And, perhaps, for themselves. Toward a new way of living, and maybe even love.

But there are bigger threats than Jael in the offing. A vicious queen is hunting Akiva, and, in the skies of Eretz ... something is happening. Massive stains are spreading like bruises from horizon to horizon; the great winged stormhunters are gathering as if summoned, ceaselessly circling, and a deep sense of wrong pervades the world.

What power can bruise the sky?

From the streets of Rome to the caves of the Kirin and beyond, humans, chimaera and seraphim will fight, strive, love, and die in an epic theater that transcends good and evil, right and wrong, friend and enemy. 

At the very barriers of space and time, what do gods and monsters dream of? And does anything else matter?

Review

I've been waiting and dying for this one like forever, and when it's like April already and it's released, I'm practically ecstatic. And glad to see that this book really satisfy and ended this series beautifully.

"I want you, at the end of all this. The dream, peace, and you."
—Karou

The beginning was actually a bit slow and boring, but once it pick up, you'll find yourself addicted to it. The story also had lots of interesting twist and unveiling, and clever use of the story's element to fleshed thing up.
And the way it all resolved was also lovely too, all loose end tied together and leaving out hope in the end.

The romance between Karou and Akiva is also way more lovely here than the other books, with their chemistry and their so called star-crossed lover existing and all. Sure, there's not a lot of swoony moments happening because they're in the middle of war, but it still doesn't lessened the charm this two had over me.
And they, as their own character, was also stronger than they are in the previous book. Karou continue to amaze me, while Akiva, well, he continue to make me swoon all over again.


As for the secondary character : Zuzana, Mik, Liraz, and Ziri, they also has their very own unique and strong characteristic here. The first part of the book might seems cluttered by totally new and random chimaera, but as the story goes on, I'm glad that Laini Taylor made a place and pivotal role for each one of them
Also, the character that has became really interesting was Liraz, for me. Her development from the heartless angel to someone very human, is really really believable. And turns out, she's really, believably cute too, with her own problem and story.

All in all, I do have some complain about this book, such as the slow beginning and the story that stretched out a little bit too much. But for the final book in a trilogy, Dreams of Gods and Monsters didn't fail to impress and satisfy.
With a strong cast of characters and intriguing story line and unexpected twist, this book is totally a must read. If you haven't read this series already, do so right now.

Cheers, x
NK

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I have to admit I didn't read the review, I just wanted to see what you gave it. I don't want anything to spoil my mind when I read it :). BUT, looks like you loved it. YAY, and the cover is FABULOUS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! I didn't know yellow could be that stunning :D

      Delete
  2. I didn't really like the first book because I felt kind of distant from the story but with all this raving I think I have to continue with the series! I must know what this awesome romance is. And twists and turns? You have sold me! Moving this up my mental TBR haha. Awesome review! And hope you enjoy your Easter. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! The first book kinda confused me too, because at the time I was reading it, it was hella poetic compared to other books I've read, but it turns out lovely! :D

      Delete
  3. Phew! I've been waiting anxiously for this one too so I'm relieved to know it's an excellent conclusion. GAH you are a tease about the romance ;) I need this, I need this right now *frantically looks around for car keys*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha, it IS like super awesomely romantic, Alise :D

      Delete

A comment from readers make us happy, really!
This is also an award-free zone, but thanks for your consideration!

Share the Love!

Papier Revue

We are Part of

Bloggers Commenting Back

Subscribe