The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Title : The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author : Jennifer E. Smith
Genre : Contemporary
Published Date : January 2nd 2012
Publisher : Poppy/Little Brown
Pages : 236

Source : Bought
Rating : ✿✿✿✿✿

From Goodreads :
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. 
Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. 
Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.
A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?
Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. 
Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.


Review

I was looking for a good contemporary novel to read since I finished The Fault in Our Stars, when I came upon this book. 
From its title and cover, I assumed that this book would be something like Anna and the French Kiss, heartwarming and cute and easy to read, and sounds really unique. I mean, love at first sight was nothing new and could be sometimes cliche, but the statistical probability of it?
And honestly, I'm the type of person who could be easily hooked by curiosity, so when I saw the long and unique title of this book, I couldn't help but to check it out.

"Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?"
—Hadley

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight told us about the reluctant Hadley as she was about to get off to London for her father remarriage. But when everything seemed to fall out of place, Hadley was forced to take another flight as she missed the original one, and met the intriguing Oliver on the way. As they talked and discussed their heart on a supposedly once-in-a-lifetime talk, Hadley realized that they were soon getting way too attached. But what will happen when the plane touched London and they might never seen each other again?

I really love the opening of this novel, especially the part where Hadley ask the question about life-changing four minutes of her life, which was really great to hook the reader. The way it was written gave the reader distinct image of what had happened to Hadley that made her missed her flight, and at the same time made the reader curious.
The ending however, as expected, was predictable for me. Girl gets the guy and every problem solved and the live happily ever after. Uh-huh, okay. 
It's not like I hate this book—because, honestly, I enjoy reading it—but rather, it didn't really leave an impression on me. So yeah, read on and you'll know how many stars did I rate this one.

Hadley, our main protagonist, was really well-written. While her traits was nothing really fancy, she was really consistent with her character. When she said she hates this and that, the story really portrayed her as the person she said she was.
Oliver, the boy who sat a seat away from Hadley on 18-C, was also quite interesting. He was reclusive as a person, and I think it really added a nice touch of reality, because sometimes the characters on many many novels was way too open for the sake of information. So yeah, I love Oliver's character with his hesitation and all that.

There's actually nothing that I hate from this book, but then again, maybe it was just because I already assumed that this book would be predictable right from the beginning. Which, turned out, was right.
This book was also a bit flat and didn't invoke any strong feelings toward it. So maybe, it was another reason why there's nothing for me to hate here. And yeah, I think I have to go with just 3 stars because this book simply didn't leave any impression for me. Or maybe, I just didn't like the flatness.

If you're looking for a light, sweet, romantic read like Anna and the French Kiss, this book would definitely something you should pick up.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I agree with your review. I too was psyched to read it and when I finished I didn't feel let down but I wasn't as happy as I thought I should be for liking a book. Now her second book, that book was amazing!

    ReplyDelete

A comment from readers make us happy, really!
This is also an award-free zone, but thanks for your consideration!

Share the Love!

Papier Revue

We are Part of

Bloggers Commenting Back

Subscribe