The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Monday, September 10, 2012

Title : The Iron King
Author : Julie Kagawa
Genre : Fantasy
Published Date : 
February 1st 2010
Publisher : Harlequin Teen
Pages : 363
Source : Bought
Rating : ✿✿✿✿✿

From Goodreads :
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil, no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


Review

I first saw this book in my local library, and what caught my attention was its beautiful cover. It was gorgeous I can’t help but to buy it.

The Iron King told us about the traditional fey court, Summer Court and Winter Court. The interesting thing about Kagawa’s fey court is the new court I had never heard before, The Iron Court. It was made because of todays technologies development and all. And the new Iron Court brought destruction to the fey’s world.

"Me? Die? Didn't they tell you, princess? I'm Robin Goodfellow."
—Puck

Our main character, Meghan Chase, was just another girl from Earth, with her little brother who claimed that fairy had been living in his closet. Meghan never believe him. Until the day he was gone, kidnapped into the fey’s world. I personally think that Meghan’s character was a bit undevelopedShe was not unstable or inconsistent  no. It’s just, she was a bit unmemorable.
Ethan, Meghan’s brother, was better, in my personal opinion. I love how he seemed to live in is own imaginary world with his imaginary friends.
And there’s Ash, Meghan’s lover and the prince of Winter Court. I didn't really get what he truly felt toward Meghan. He could be cold and indifferent at one time, but sweet and heart melting the other time. I like his personality, actually. It’s just his inconsistencies that put me off.

The character that intrigued me most was
strangelyGrimalkin, the cat.
It was strange when he could pop out of nowhere and left Meghan when she needs him most. But I think that Grimalkin’s personality was the most unique, and the most distinct from all of The Iron Fey’s cast.

The plot was interesting too, with the new Iron Court, which add the spark that made Kagawa’s fey world unique. But it’s not really my style when the Meghan’s adventure was so over thoroughly told, and many journey was made for reasons I simply can't understand.

Overall, if you like fey’s book and adventure, I think you could try this book. Many people love it. But for me myself, who’s more an urban-fantasy chick, I think this book is not for me.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. It sounds like an interesting take on the fey. I like her Blood of Eden series, I may have to give this series a try. I'm also a sucker for animals in stories so I want to know about the cat!

    ReplyDelete

A comment from readers make us happy, really!
This is also an award-free zone, but thanks for your consideration!

Share the Love!

Papier Revue

We are Part of

Bloggers Commenting Back

Subscribe